Take it as you will.....

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

On Writing

.... And this isn't high school. Now that you're not worried that (a) you're skirt is too short or too long and the other kids will laugh at you, (b) you're not going to make the varsity swim team, (c) you're still going to be a pimple-studded virgin when you graduate (probably when you die, for that matter), (d) the physics teacher won't grade the final on a curve, or (e) nobody really likes you anyway AND THEY NEVER DID... now that all that extraneous shit is out of the way, your can study certain academic matters with a degree of concentration you could never manage while attending the local textbook loonybin. And once you start, you'll find you know almost all of the stuff anyway-it is, as I said, mostly a matter of cleaning the rust off the drillbits and sharpening the blade of your saw.......

That may not mean anything to any of you, but I guess you would have to have read the preface to all of that. As I came along that paragraph in the book I'm reading (On Writing by Stephen King) it hit me very hard. The book is half his memoirs and half a writing guide. He makes it seem so easy, yet writing something that is compelling and interesting is very difficult. His ideals and suggestions on how to write well are very profoundly easy, however :-/ I started this book my first semester in college and put it down because I got caught up in other things. I am going to finish this book and start to write. I have no idea what about, or how long the writing(s) will be, but damnit they will be there. I am going to stop writing on here (if you can call what I ramble on about on here writing) until I have a better understanding of what I should be doing. I need to make my statements more clear and quit worrying about the audience, if they don't like it, don't read it, but the writings will be original and mine.

I leave you with another passage from the book.... This will appear again once my writing have begun as a preamble to the new writings of Daniel Gottlieb.

"I'm not asking you to come reverently or unquestioningly; I'm not asking you to be politically correct or cast aside your sense of humor (please God you have one). This isn't a popularity contest, it's not the Moral Olympics, and it's not church. But it's writing, damn it, not washing the car or putting on eyeliner. If you can take it seriously, we can do business. If you can't or won't, it's time for you to close the book and do something else.
Was the car, maybe."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home